Modern data center environments are becoming increasingly complex, distributed, and difficult to manage. As a result, many data center professionals are turning to Data Center Infrastructure Management (DCIM) software to better manage their data centers. To adapt to modern data center use cases and provide the capabilities their customers need, today’s DCIM vendors are updating their products with new features and technology.
The Current State of DCIM Software
Let’s consider some of the key trends driving data center adoption and the capabilities that modern data center managers expect from their DCIM software.
- The DCIM market is growing…
- The DCIM market is expected to exceed USD 3 billion and is predicted to grow at over 20% CAGR by 2024
- DCIM adoption is the new norm
- Among respondents to Uptime Institute’s Global Data Center Survey 2018, 54% of data center professionals have purchased commercial DCIM software
- 75% of these users said their deployment was successful
- 47% of these are currently supplementing with additional DCIM tools
- 62% of users said their DCIM deployments provided significant benefits within the first full year
- Downtime: The Biggest Data Center Challenge
- According to Uptime Institute, about 1/3 of data center operators have experienced downtime in the past year
- Biggest causes of failures: Power Failure, Network Failure, Software/IT System Failure, Third-Party Service Provider Failure
- What other pain points are driving DCIM deployments?
- Data center professionals deploy DCIM software for:
- Asset Management
- Capacity Planning
- Power Monitoring
- Environmental Monitoring
- BI and Reporting
- Security and Compliance
DCIM Vendors to Help You Get Started
Whether you are looking at your first DCIM deployment or planning to replace your existing data center management software, this list of five DCIM vendors will provide a solid foundation for your initial research.
From the DCIM Vendor: “Sunbird Software is changing the way data centers are managed through second-generation DCIM software. With a focus on real user scenarios for real customer problems, we help data center operators manage tasks and processes faster and more efficiently than ever before, while saving costs and improving availability.”
Useful Links to Learn More About Sunbird Software:
- Homepage: https://www.sunbirddcim.com"
- Screenshots: https://www.sunbirddcim.com/dcim-screen-shots
- White papers: https://www.sunbirddcim.com/dcim-white-papers
- Reviews: https://www.sunbirddcim.com/reviews
From the DCIM Vendor: “Vertiv designs, builds, and services critical infrastructure that enables vital applications…We support today’s growing mobile and cloud computing markets with power, thermal, and infrastructure management solutions.”
Useful Links to Learn More About Vertiv:
- Homepage: https://www.vertivco.com/en-us/
- Reviews: https://www.gartner.com/reviews/market/data-center-infrastructure-management-tools/vendor/vertiv/
From the DCIM Vendor: “Schneider Electric develops connected technologies and solutions to manage energy and process in ways that are safe, reliable, efficient and sustainable. The Group invests in R&D in order to sustain innovation and differentiation, with a strong commitment to sustainable development.”
Useful Links to Learn More About Schneider Electric:
- Homepage: https://www.schneider-electric.us/en/
- Resources: https://www.schneider-electric.com/en/work/solutions/system/s4/data-center-and-network-systems-dcim/
- Reviews: https://www.gartner.com/reviews/market/data-center-infrastructure-management-tools/vendor/schneider_electric
From the DCIM Vendor: “Nlyte’s DCIM solution is used by many of the world’s largest and most sophisticated data centers, as well as many small and medium sized organizations. Customers can quickly deploy the Nlyte DCIM solution and begin to immediately enjoy reduced costs and increased efficiency across all data center processes.”
Useful Links to Learn More About Nlyte:
- Homepage: https://www.nlyte.com/
- Resources: https://www.nlyte.com/solutions/data-center-infrastructure-management-dcim/
- Reviews: https://www.gartner.com/reviews/market/data-center-infrastructure-management-tools/vendor/nlyte-software/product/nlyte
From the DCIM Vendor: “openDCIM is a free, web based Data Center Infrastructure Management application…openDCIM does not contend to be a function by function replacement for commercial applications. Instead, openDCIM covers the majority of features needed by the developers – as is often the case of open source software.”
Useful Links to Learn More About openDCIM:
Choosing the right vendor is more critical than ever to adapt to changes in modern data center environments and ensure your DCIM deployment’s success. After all, the best DCIM vendors are more than just service providers. They are partners with the expertise to help you maximize the value of your DCIM software investment.
To learn more about DCIM, its advantages, and what to look for in a top DCIM vendor, visit https://www.sunbirddcim.com/we-know-data-centers.