A data center busway is a self-contained overhead power distribution system that delivers power to data center server racks. Busways have no cables that can potentially obstruct airflow, are extremely energy efficient, modular, equipped for high-density power distribution, and designed and rated to meet and exceed the reliability demands and thermal requirements of mission critical facilities.
Benefits of Data Center Busways
Compared to remote power panels (RPPs) and power whips that inhibit flexibility, require difficult circuit additions, require new cable installation, restrict airflow, and make tile removal necessary for any work, the benefits of data center busways include:
- Reduced construction costs and time of construction
- Reduced human error
- Increased space capacity
- Increased flexibility
- Improved energy efficiency
Data Center Busway Monitoring
Without a monitoring solution, you may not get the most out of data center busways. Leading data center and lab managers leverage Data Center Infrastructure (DCIM) software to centrally monitor all their busway tap boxes.
By monitoring data center busways, you can:
- Monitor actual cabinet power load and receive warning and critical alerts based upon threshold violations.
- Monitor actual rack PDU inlet current to ensure loads do not exceed redundancy thresholds.
- Monitor actual loads at every breaker point in the power path including panels and UPSs to ensure breaker ratings are not exceeded.
- Manage cabinet-level stranded power capacity.
- Understand three-phase load balancing and know how to balance.
- Monitor and fully utilize breaker and panel power capacity.
- Measure and trend your Power Usage Effectiveness (PUE).
- Automatically collect and store measurements.
- Report and trend measured data via web browser.
- Easily create management reports with over 100 out-of-the-box dashboard charts.
Want to see how Sunbird’s world-leading DCIM software makes it easy for you to visualize and centrally manage your busways? Get your free test drive now!