Data Center Infrastructure Management (DCIM) software is a class of software used by data center professionals to efficiently run data center operations and improve data center infrastructure planning and design. DCIM software bridges information across organizational domains such as Operations, Facilities, and IT to maximize the utilization of data center resources. It typically replaces Excel, Visio, and homegrown databases.
DCIM software provides data center managers with the ability to identify, locate, visualize, and manage all physical data center assets, quickly provision new equipment, and confidently plan for future growth. It can also help control energy costs, improve data center design, and increase operational efficiency.
Key Components of DCIM Software
- Live readings of sensor data
- Complete asset inventory information
- Multiple ways to visualize and report on data
- Change and workflow management
- Power and data circuit management
- Comprehensive equipment template library
- Open and compatible for easy integration
Common Use Cases of DCIM Software
Managing physical data center infrastructure assets, relationships, and capacity:
- Locations of racks, servers, network, storage, and blades
- Utilization and capacity of resources to support equipment, e.g., space, power, and cooling
- Physical relationships and connectivity between equipment down to the port level
- Monitor, trend, and alarm on equipment and resources support mission critical facilities
- Automating visual documentation by providing full 3D specifications of assets with high-fidelity front and back images, exact U position, and dimensional, weight, and data and power port information
- Tracking workflow within the data center for physical asset moves, adds, and changes of server/network equipment
- Tracking and monitoring environmental conditions, energy efficiency, and availability, and use of key resources (space, power, cooling, and network/power connections)
Want to see why Data Centre Magazine ranks Sunbird the world's #1 DCIM software? Get your free test drive now!