Data center automation is the process in which the routine processes of data center operations are completed without any manual effort. Automating data center tasks increases operational efficiency, improves data accuracy, and simplifies data center management.
Data center automation is an important piece of modern data center management. The enormous growth in data and the speed in which today’s businesses operate requires the fast identification and remediation of potential issues, efficient capacity utilization, and highly productive people that can seamlessly complete moves, adds, and changes.
Data center automation is accomplished with data center management software and other tools. Data Center Infrastructure Management (DCIM) software enables the central management of all resources and capacity and drives automation via integration with other tools such as CMDBs, virtualization software, messaging applications, intelligent power infrastructure, environment sensors, and more.
How DCIM Software Drives Data Center Automation
Leading data center managers leverage DCIM software to automate tasks and integrate with other systems to save time, save money, and improve the accuracy of data.
Examples of how DCIM software enables data center automation include:
- ServiceNow certified connector
- Universal CMDB connector for BMC, Cherwell, and homegrown CMDBs
- VMware connector
Multiple points of integration:
- Bidirectional restful web service API
- ODBC views
- JSON event forwarding to enterprise monitoring solutions
- Audit trail event push
Other automation capabilities:
- Automatic power capacity planning
- Scheduled emails of dashboard charts and reports
- Rules engine that enables automation rules based upon user-configurable conditions
- Auto backup of rack PDU configurations
- Auto backup of DCIM system
- Threshold violation alerts for low supply of high-value parts and spare components
- Threshold violation alerts of rack, inlet, and circuit breaker loads and three-phase balance
- Threshold violation alerts of circuit breaker state change
- Threshold violation alerts for environmental conditions including temperature, humidity, water, air flow, pressure differential, contact closure, smoke, vibration, and door locks
- Email notifications for requests and work orders
- Event notifications of all informational, warning, and critical events
Want to see how Sunbird’s world-leading DCIM software makes it easy for you to drive automation in your data center? Get your free test drive now!